DAY 1 OF 4 WEEK DIGITAL DETOX
Today was the first day of going cold turkey with 3 digital detoxes in one hit.
The rules? Simple. No social media. No TV (easy) and no alcohol whatsoever for 4 weeks (not so easy). Here is the (slightly edited) transcript of today's jotting. Commentary in brackets.
- Woke up an hour earlier
- 10 pushups
- Today's goal: Upload this post! And wake up early!
- (One of the first things I did was) check my phone realising I have no social apps (to check). This is gonna be interesting!
- I'm already changing some things/habits this morning: feeling better than usual, less self-doubt, more self-control
- Turned on YouTube to watch a motivational video (!)
- I want more free time and financial freedom
- Feeling jittery without checking phone
- Today, Kanye West posted - I mean - tweeted: "When you first wake up don't hop right on the phone or the Internet... just be still and enjoy your own imagination. It's better than any movie".
- PS I don't follow Kanye but a friend of mine sent this through to me.
- I wish I could take photos of the 95% of people eating and either talking to someone or (with their) heads down on the phone.
- I'm checking LinkedIn more frequently than usual... *shit*
- Started reading news on the phone again *wtf*
- On the laptop working on some side work for a client while listening to tunes is making me forget about Instagram or Facebook.
- Planning to meditate for 5 mins before sleep using Buddify or Headspace app. Any suggestions?
- Organising my outfit for work tomorrow
- Locking in some time to plan my weekend
- Just saw a LinkedIn notification pop up on one of the other tabs. Will refrain. Remain focused. Will check in 10 minutes time once I finish uploading this post!
- Will aim to sleep before midnight and will report tomorrow. Adios!
DAILY WRAP UP
- I felt jittery at times but overall no checking of socials
- Went for a 20 minute walk around Docklands
- I noticed things I'd never notice before such as two birds courting, new restaurants
- Over 90% around me were 'heads down thumbs on' and glued to their phones
VERDICT = PASS
Original journal jotting entry below: